Every Home Needs a Story Teller | Our Talkative Dinning Table

If furniture held memories which piece would you have a conversation with when your kids have grown? (This may be the social distancing talking but stay with me.)

**We are on Shelter in Place in California during the COVID-19 pandemic and because of this I feel the need to add a disclaimer or some sort. These times have more uncertainty than they have anything else, I feel it too. I also understand not everyone is happy at home or able to even be home with their families. I hope everyone who is reading this is doing ok though, thats all we can ask of each other right? Being ok. I hope you can simply escape for a moment to remember the good and love of family. I also want to keep thanking the first responders, medical staff and essential workers out busting their ass to make sure we can stay home. THANK YOU. We have not had guest over in weeks and our table is feeling empty compared to past days, this could be why I’m looking at it (the cleanest it’s been in months) and reminiscing of gatherings. Stay home and find your story teller. That is all.**

The story teller in my home is our dinning table. It’s only four years old but will gladly share its tales to those who take the time to look for them.


It was our first anniversary gift to each other when we bought our house, we needed a table and didn’t want to spend money on anything else. I never thought I’d be that person who made someone use a coaster or placemat but, I was that person. Ninja slipping coasters under icy glasses and side eyeing you if a crumb feel off your plate. I always thought this type of furniture were supposed to stay perfect.

That thinking changed the day my (at the time) two year old nephew started stabbing his fork into my table. I cringed and my body starting tensing up when I saw little holes forever poked into the wood in one spot. Then I ran my hand over them and it hit me that one day that little boy will be a teenager and I’ll be that Aunt that gets to tells him those holes are from him. (I’m currently living in the “when you were a little kid” days, wow). I love those fork marks on my now perfect table.

No placemats have been “required” since this day and coasters are less covertly placed. Both still appreciated but, put away in a drawer. 

That ring left from a party is a picture from that night you learned how your friends fell in love, the first Christmas dinner you hosted, or simply from a child who got a cup of water on his own for the first time and spilt it when setting it down. That red marker scribble will forever remind me of my son learning his colors and so many scratches from him figuring out how utensils work. 


The memories that didn't leave a mark are hidden between the grains; when you surprised your husband with the news he would have another son, the birthday mornings spent opening gifts and morning coffee's before the kids wake up.

Four years we’ve had this table and it's already the keeper of my most treasured memories. As these children grow so will the scratches, drink rings, scribbles, and fork pokes.

With every gathering and meal sat this simple table will continue to hold the love of this family and show it to you if you just look.

Every family needs a story teller in their home; it could be a table, a book, a wall, or a chair. An item you’ve had from generations past or something new that you know will last. Find your story teller and you’ll never look at imperfections the same again.

Table/Chairs is Zuo Mod

Follow me on Instagram @crystalransons

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girl's Nursery Makeover Pt. 1: Pink Bead Board

DIY Mudroom Built In

Toddler Boy Room Makeover: Behind the Design