One Room Challenge Week 4: My Vision is A Reality


 One Room Challenge

Week 4

Last week we left off with two of three board/batten walls finished and cabinets not quite finished yet. Also some "if's" on wallpaper and the light I choose. Well, I am happy to say we got A LOT done this week!


Let me refresh your mind with where we started a few weeks ago...




and this is what 4 weeks of hard work has given us!





I stand my point made in last weeks post about how important
lighting is in a space. More importantly the fixture itself. A commercial
type light like we had before gives nothing to enhance a room but
takes away from it. This new light really gives this room the nudge it 
needs to go from a place you stand and do laundry to a room you want to be in just to look at the details.



Something easily added to make our cabinets look built in is a top trim/molding, it continues along the lines of the board/batten molding but is paint to match the cabinets.


Let's talk decor in a utility room


Even though we have a few more weeks until I need to stage and do reveal photos I could not help myself but too add my new decor! Also, I am using this space so I still need it to be functional at the moment.


I found these cute little houses (the light up too!) in the dollar section at target and I couldn't pass up the farmhouse vibes they were giving me. I knew I could use them on the window or the shelves eventually.



Another easy way to have functional decor in a utility space like a laundry room is use a pretty basket to hide items you actually do need in that room. Not only does the basket add a natural texture and warmth to this very cool toned space, adding in towels to hide my dryer sheets gives a very soft feel. I also love being able to have my dryer balls and essential oil be used as decor. Again, in a space like this it's so easy to use items you need as decor, you just need to know how to style them!


Same goes with your detergents, simple glass jars are not only beautiful but make it easy to get what you need without fighting with a bag or box all the time. And adding a jar of clothes pins really tie in the decor aspect of this little area.
(these will be out of reach of the kiddos on the shelves soon)


And my favorite piece of decor, add a baby doing laundry to really impress people ;)


Besides decorating this is what we did this week: The DIY Side


We trimmed out the window with a simple craftsman trim and then installed the board and batten.



And then it was back to painting the wall white which was when this room finally looked like it did in my head!


Scott built the cabinet doors (except one we still need to build)



 I was in charge of painting them. The color is Benjamin Moore "In Your Eyes" color match at The Home Depot in Behr Paint/Primer in One (Semi Gloss). I did one coat of primer, sanded, caulked, then two coats of paint.


Of course I had scott install them the second they were completly dry!


I love this color so much and I'm so happy it picks up in this room!


What's next?



Week 5 Goals:
-The door needs a new coat of paint
-Install hardware
-Install wallpaper
-Start building shelves 





Don't forget to follow me on Instagram and make sure you check out some of the other participants on the One Room Challenge Blog










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girl's Nursery Makeover Pt. 1: Pink Bead Board

DIY Mudroom Built In

Toddler Boy Room Makeover: Behind the Design